For a while we were buying a bag of fried jalapeno things for our salads. They were ok, but mostly breading. They had very little jalapeno in them, so I did the only sensible thing and made my own. These are stupid fantastic for salads, nachos, or whatever!
IMPORTANT NOTES: Be careful if using bare hands while handling the jalapenos. Do not touch your eyes or skin. Gloves are highly recommended for men to avoid….accidents. I don’t like the house to smell like frying oil for days so I like to crack a window while cooking.
- Jalapenos – As much as you want. My pictures show about 8.
- ~1/4 cup corn starch
- ~2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- ~2 cups oil
- Slice the jalapenos into thick pieces
- Dump the jalapenos in a 1 gallon baggie along with corn starch and shake to coat them. (Sides do not really get coated well)
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until smooth. You need to really mix them otherwise you get clumps and it’s difficult to work with.
- Pour out on a clean plate the panko bread crumbs
- Individually take each slice of jalapeno and dip them in the egg wash and then coat with bread crumbs. Place off to side.
- Heat oil in skillet on med-high until very hot. (You can test if it’s ready by dropping in a jalapeno and seeing if it sizzles.
- Dump in your batch and cook until all pieces are golden brown stirring to flip them over . (5-7 minutes).
- Place on a plate with paper towels to drain and cool.