As the title suggests I give all credit for my ability to cook biscuits and gravy to our good friend Nathan. I made a few modifications to his original recipe and that’s what you will see below.
Time: 30-40 minutes if you do them at the same time
Skill Level: Easy
Amount: 12 biscuits and about 4 cups of gravy (If you like a lot of gravy, and thick gravy, it’s not enough for all 12 biscuits)
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 3/4 tsp of salt
- pinch of sugar
- 4 Tbl of soild fat; butter, lard, bacon fat, etc…. (I use butter)
- Large sour cream
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3-4 cups of whole milk (MUST BE whole milk)
- 1/2 -1 Tbl seasoned salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, salt, and sugar
- Add the solid fat by crumbling it into the bowl. With butter I just cut it into tiny squares and add it. MUCH easier. Try not to let your fat melt before adding.
- Add the whole container of sour cream and mix with a fork and then by hand to get all the flour incorporated. This will be a very sticky wet dough.
- Spray a baking sheet
- Using spoons, make large balls out of your dough and plop them on your baking sheet. You should get 12 balls.
- Bake until full cooked through and golden brown (20-25 minutes)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat
- Add sausage, break it apart into small pieces with spatula. Cook until fully cooked through.
- Reduce the heat to med-low and sprinkle flour on little by little to allow sausage to soak up.
- Once all the flour is in continue to cook for 1 minute
- Pour in milk and mix
- While stirring often, cook the gravy until it thickens (15-20 minutes) Gravy will thicken a lot once off the heat. Keep in mind while reducing down.If it gets too thick you can add more milk.
- Add seasoning salt, pepper, and cayenne.