More Maang Chi! This time we made her Spicy Garlic Fried Chicken. It’s SUPER delicious and worth the mess it will make in your kitchen. I recommend fully reading through the directions a few times and get everything out and ready/prepped before starting.
Please make sure you check out Maang Chi’s website and support her by watching her videos and making her food. She is great.
WARNING: This dish is not difficult per say but it uses a LOT of dishes and pots/pans. It will be a mess your first time and you may want to grab a friend to be your sue chef.
Time: 1 hour. You can cut this time down by prepping some parts ahead of time.
Skill Level: Semi difficult
Amount: 3-4 Servings or 2 very hungry people.
- 1 lb chicken breasts cut into small 1″ chunks
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup potato starch (Corn starch is fine too)
- 1 egg
Spicy garlic and leek infused oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup thinly shredded leek
- 8 garlic cloves cut into halves
- 2 TBl coarse chili flakes (If you don’t want it to be spicy, cut this down or out completely)
Vegetables and seasonings
- 2 jalapenos – remove seeds and slice thinly
- 2 red chili peppers – remove seeds and slice thinly
- 1 bunch of green onion – chopped
- 1 onion – chopped
- 4-6 dried red chili peppers
*Again, if you do not like it too spicy you can trade out the peppers for something more mild and/or leave out the dried red chili peppers.
Sweet and sour sauce
- 2 Tbl soy sauce
- 4 Tbl water
- 4 Tbl rice syrup (This can be hard to find. You can use honey)
- 2 Tbl white vinegar
- 2 tsp potato starch
- 1-2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 2 tsp sesame oil
Prep sweet and sour sauce
- Mix everything in a small bowl. DO NOT ADD MORE STARCH! Starch thickens when heated. The sauce will look drab and thin but it will create a thick sticky beautiful sauce when cooked.
- Combine the chicken, ginger, soy sauce, and ground black pepper in a bowl. Mix well and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the egg and potato starch. Mix by hand. (The mixture will be clumpy looking but it’s ok.)
Prep the spicy garlic and leek infused oil
- Heat up a small frying pan with 1/2 cup cooking oil. When oil is heated, lower the heat to medium and add the garlic and leek.
- Stir and cook until both are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the garlic and leek with a slotted spoon onto a small plate.
- To the hot oil, add the chili pepper flakes and stir.
- Take off the heat and allow to sit for 2 minutes
- Strain oil into a small bowl and discard the chili flakes.
Time to fry dat chicken
- Heat 2 cups of vegetable oil in a frying pan over high heat.
- Once at 335-350F, turn down the heat to medium high and add the chicken CAREFULLY.
- Fry the chicken until golden brown on all sides and set aside on a plate.
All together now
- In a LARGE skillet or wok, add the infused oil and heat over medium high heat.
- Add the onion, green onion, and chili peppers.
- Stir and cook until the onion starts to brown and soften.
- Add the sweet and sour sauce.*If your chicken did not get super crispy the first time, at this point fry it a second time to get super crispy.
*If your chicken did not get super crispy the first time, at this point fry it a second time to get super crispy.
5. Add the chicken, fried leek and garlic, and the 2 tsp sesame oil. Stir to coat the chicken.
6. Enjoy your hard work!