This recipe comes from my new cookbook from America’s Test Kitchen ‘Healthy Slow Cooker Revolution’. This book contains 200 slow cooker recipes. This recipe is on page 144.
This sauce is AMAZING. I loooooved it. It was great on spaghetti but it’s the perfect bruschetta topping also. You can do a lot with this sauce I think.
Time: 8 crockpot hours and about 10-15 minutes prep
Effort level: Some. You have to cut cherry tomatoes in half
Amount: The book says 6 servings if all used for pasta.
You need: (As usual this is altered slightly from the original recipe)
- 1 onion – chopped fine
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 6 garlic cloves – minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano or 1 Tbl fresh
- 2 1/2 lbs cherry tomatoes – halved
- 2 Tbl instant tapioca (thickener – You could probably use a starch, maybe a potato or something that will hold up)
- 1 Tbl low-sodium soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lb whole-wheat spaghetti
- Add everything except the spaghetti, basil, and parsley to the crockpot.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Mash up with potato masher or large fork.
- Add in the basil and parsley
- Cook your spaghetti
- Add spaghetti to the sauce and serve! (Or just spoon your own sauce on.)