This was SUPER delicious. Will make again…and again.
This was from Pintrest. This post is the longest freaking post to go through to just get the dang recipe. Consider yourself forewarned. Original link here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/baked-ziti/
I modified the recipe slightly and it worked out great. You can choose which to follow. Mine will be what’s listed below.
Time: 45 minutes
Effort Level: Some to Medium (only because you need TWO pots AND a baking dish. For some this may be a lot. lol) You can make this meal ahead of time and bake it when you’re ready.
Amount: 8-10 servings
- 1lb of Italian sausage links – skin removed (I used spicy links you can use mild or w/e you prefer)
- 1 box of whole wheat penne pasta (13.5oz)
- 1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15oz) can whole peeled tomatoes with juice
- 2 Tbl olive oil
- 1 onion – diced
- 3 cloves of garlic – minced
- 8oz ricotta cheese (I used part skim and it was just fine)
- 1-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbl Italian seasoning
- Red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta until ALMOST al dente (If the box says 10 minutes do 8-9) and then drain and rinse with cool water.
- Heat oil in a large pan and add the garlic. Cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the onion and saute until softened (~5 minutes)
- Add the sausage, crumble while cooking, and cook until fully cooked through.
- Add the tomato cans, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a bowl off to side, add the egg, ricotta, half the mozzarella, and half the grated Parmesan. Mix together.
- In your baking dish mix the pasta and cheese mixture together (Or do it in the bowl if easier)
- To the baking dish add 2/3 of the sauce and mix together with the pasta and cheese.
- Spread the remaining sauce over top the pasta and sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Bake in a 375F oven for 20 minutes (If you made this ahead of time you may need to bake for longer)