This was delicious and all leftovers were eaten (a big compliment to any meal). A great meal for the week day since it can be prepped ahead of time!
A Pintrest find. Original link here: http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/chicken-enchilada-casserole-recipe/
Prep Time: 40 minutes (time to cook chicken)
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Effort level: Some. You have to like open cans and bake some chicken.
Amount: 8-10 servings
- 3 cups of red enchilada sauce (cans or homemade)
- I ended up making the sauce from the site (http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/red-enchilada-sauce/) This was delicious. I highly recommend. It takes a LOT of chili powder so make sure you check your supply.
- 1 packet of soft corn tortillas
- 1 can black beans – rinsed and drained
- 1 can whole kernel corn – rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch of green onion – chopped
- 4-5 chicken breasts (~1.5-2lbs) – cooked and shredded
- 1 packet of mexican blend cheese
- Avocado and cliantro optional for garnish
- Cook the chicken (bake, grill, slowcook, etc..) and shred it apart.
- If you’re making homemade sauce, make it at the same time as the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pour 3/4 cup of sauce into bottom of 9×13 pan.
- layer some tortillas
- Add half the beans and corn – spread evenly on top of the tortillas
- Add half the green onion – spread evenly
- Add half the chicken – spread evenly
- Add half the cheese – spread evenly
- Add half of sauce – spread evenly
- Repeat steps 5-10
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes
- Uncover and bake for 10 minutes.