This is good. The only caveat is to make sure you don’t overcook the chicken or the meal is extremely dry without sauce.
A Pintrest find. Original link here: http://www.jocooks.com/healthy-eating/oven-roasted-chicken-shawarma/
Prep Time: 25 minutes YOU MUST PREP THE CHICKEN TO MARINATE PRIOR TO COOKING!
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Effort level: Some. You have to remember to prep it in advance
Amount: 3 servings
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 large onion
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- juice from 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 cup of cook basmati rice (optional)
For a garlic sauce (optional but recommended)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp salt
- In a dish or 1 gallon plastic bag, add all the ingredients except those for sauce. Mix thoroughly
- Allow to sit in refrigerator and marinade for at minimum 1 hour. The longer the better
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Add everything to a 9×13 baking dish
- Bake until chicken is fully cooked through (30-40 minutes)
- During this time make your sauce and rice.
- Add sauce ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to eat.
- Prepare rice according to instructions.
- Slice chicken, serve over rice, and top with sauce.